The Ultimate Guide to Cannabis Consumption Methods for Mississippi Medical Cannabis Consumers
Ever since the state of Mississippi legalized the cannabis plant for medical consumption, our budtenders have been fielding questions about the best way for patients to consume marijuana products.
There are several ways to consume cannabis, but with so many methods available, it can be challenging to know which one is best for your health and wellness needs.
Rootdown is here to help with our comprehensive guide to cannabis consumption methods.
The Basics of Cannabis Consumption
When you consume cannabis, your body absorbs the plant’s active compounds. Active compounds found in cannabis include:
- THC: Responsible for causing psychoactive effects when absorbed into the bloodstream, THC is often present in products designed to treat nausea, anxiety, loss of appetite, and occasional feelings of sadness.
- CBD: A non-psychoactive cannabinoid, CBD is often used to treat minor aches and pains, as well as anxiety, inflammation, insomnia, and chronic pain.
- Minor Cannabinoids and Terpenes: These add subtlety and variety to your cannabis experience, providing aromas and flavors and contributing to the so-called “entourage effect,” which enhances the wellness impact of more prevalent compounds.
The method you use to consume your cannabis product of choice will determine how active compounds enter the bloodstream and affect your body.
Inhaling cannabis provides a psychoactive experience that varies from mild to intense, depending on the potency of the product. Eating or drinking cannabis, on the other hand, can offer a more powerful consumption experience, as your body is able to absorb more THC through your digestive system. If you’re seeking a more mild healing method, topicals offer relief without any psychoactive effects.
A closer look at each of these consumption methods will help to determine which one is best for you.
Smoking: The Traditional Method
Dried flower is one of the most recognizable forms of cannabis and inhaling it offers instant relief. Preparing dried flower for consumption usually requires a grinder, along with glassware, cones, or rolling papers, but pre-rolls are an increasingly popular and convenient option.
Whether you choose to grind your own dried flower or purchase pre-rolls, here are the pros and cons of smoking cannabis:
- Smoking offers fast-acting relief when you need it most.
- It’s easy to control dosage by smoking until symptoms are relieved.
- If you have respiratory issues, you’ll benefit more from another consumption method.
- Smoking produces an odor.
Popular Medical Cannabis Strains in Mississippi:
Interested in exploring dried cannabis flower? Here are some of our favorite strains:
Grandaddy Purple: A classic favorite, Grandaddy Purple boasts grape and berry aromas. This indica-dominant strain, known for relaxation, is said to aid with pain, stress, and insomnia. Expect a flavorful, soothing experience.
Runtz: Blending the fruity essence of Zkittlez with floral Gelato notes, Runtz is a balanced hybrid. Famed for euphoria and uplift, it’s great for mood boosts and creative inspiration.
GMO: Also called Garlic Cookies for its savory aroma, GMO is a robust indica-dominant strain. With roots in GSC and Chemdawg, it offers deep relaxation. Anticipate unique flavors and tranquility.
Sour Diesel: With its unmistakable fuel-like aroma, Sour Diesel is a sativa-dominant strain. Celebrated for its energetic effects, it’s perfect for clarity and combating fatigue.
Motorbreath: Originating from Chemdawg and SFV OG Kush, Motorbreath has an earthy, diesel aroma. As an indica-dominant strain, it’s ideal for stress and muscle tension relief. Delve into its flavors for serenity.
Vaporizing: An Alternative to Smoking
If you’re concerned about the smell or respiratory impact of inhaling smoke, vaping is a great alternative. Whether you want to vaporize cannabis oil or dried flower, there are vaporizers to suit every need, and vaping offers the same quick relief and adjustable dosing that comes with smoking dried flower without having to worry about the smell.
If you’re interested in vaping, here are a few things to consider:
- Vaping offers discreet relief wherever the need strikes with minimal odor.
- Vape pens are among the most convenient consumption methods.
- High-end vaporizers are more expensive than single-use vape pens.
- While single-use vape pens and cartridges are simple to use, the more complex vaporizers can be challenging to operate at first.
Our Budtender’s Recommendations for Vaping:
If vaping seems like the right consumption method for you, here are some of the products our budtenders recommend:
Edibles: From Chocolates to Gummies
Cannabis edibles are a common alternative to smoking or vaping. Made by incorporating cannabis-infused oil or butter into chocolate bars, gummy candies, and more, edibles offer a tasty, high-impact consumption experience. If you’re interested edibles, here are some points to consider:
- Edibles have effects that last longer than other consumption methods.
- Edibles present no respiratory concerns.
- The THC in edibles is absorbed by the digestive tract, so there’s often a delay in the onset of effects.
- Due to the delayed onset of effects, dosage can be complicated to calculate at first, so it’s best to start with a low dose and evaluate the effects.
Mississippi’s Favorite Medical Cannabis Edibles:
If you think edibles are the are right for your wellness needs, here are some of the product styles you should consider:
Honey: Rich, smooth, and glowing, cannabis-infused honey is ideal for tea, toast, or direct consumption, offering a subtle, sweet introduction to edibles.
Gummies: A popular choice among Mississippi medical cannabis consumers, cannabis gummies blend delicious flavors with the desired effects of indica or sativa strains. Easy to dose and enjoyable, they’re perfect for beginners and regular consumers.
Chocolates: Infused chocolates are a gourmet treat merging the richness of cocoa with cannabis. Whether indica or sativa-dominant, chocolates provide a decadent and delightful experience.
When it comes to cannabis edibles, remember to start low and go slow, and if you have any questions, please consult with our budtenders.
Tinctures: Precision Dosing
Edibles are an excellent consumption method, but if you need a more accurate and potent dose, you should try tinctures. These cannabis-infused liquids offer extremely precise and potent dosing—reaching as high as 80% THC concentration. If you’re interested in tinctures, here are a few points to consider:
- Tinctures are among the most potent and precise consumption methods, making them the perfect choice for cannabis consumers who like to keep their experience predictable.
- When it comes to consumption, tinctures are incredibly versatile; they can be taken sublingually or mixed into the food or liquid of your choice.
- Some tinctures possess a grassy aftertaste, but there are several flavored options available to choose from.
How Mississippi Medical Cannabis Consumers Can Benefit From Tinctures:
Especially potent and highly precise, we recommend tinctures for consumers who need a fast-acting, reliable consumption method. We recommend tinctures from the following brands:
Concentrates: Potency at its Peak
Of all the cannabis consumption methods, concentrates are strongest. Named for their creation process, which “concentrates” the active compounds of the cannabis flower via distillation and processing, these products offer peak potency. Concentrates come in several forms, including:
- Wax: Cannabis material blasted with solvent then whipped into a creamy, buttery texture over low heat.
- Budder/Badder: Concentrate treated with a shorter whipping process to retain more moisture and a cake batter texture.
- Shatter: Excess fats and waxes are removed from the refined flower, resulting in solid, translucent material that looks like glass.
- Live Resin: Made by flash-freezing freshly harvested cannabis plant matter after harvest.
- Crumble: Extracted with a lower temperature process to create an aromatic, crumbly final product.
- Diamonds/Sugar: Made from a longer process that uses cold extraction and pressure to make shiny crystals.
- Moon Rocks: High-grade cannabis flower dipped in hash oil then coated in a fine layer of kief dust.
Interested in trying concentrates? Here’s what you should know:
- Concentrates are highly potent, offering immediate and intense effects.
- Due to their potency, concentrates require less to achieve effects and can be more cost-effective in the long run.
- Concentrates may be too potent for beginners.
- Some forms of concentrate require special equipment for consumption, such as dab rigs or vape pens.
Safety Tips and Best Practices for Concentrate Consumption:
Concentrates are incredibly powerful. Start with a minimal amount and give yourself the time to experience how it affects you before consuming more. If you’re interested in exploring cannabis concentrates, these are the products we recommend:
RSO (Rick Simpson Oil): Originated by Canadian Rick Simpson, this potent, full-spectrum extract embodies a variety of cannabinoids. RSO is ideal for oral consumption or topical application and is known for its holistic effects.
Syringe Droppers: Offering precision in dosing, cannabis-infused syringe droppers allow direct oral application or incorporation into food and drinks. They’re perfect for those seeking exact measurements and consistent effects.
Topicals: For Targeted Relief
Topicals provide cannabis patients non-psychoactive relief from symptoms such as inflammation, muscle soreness, and general aches and pains. While their impact is milder than other forms of cannabis, topicals can be a powerful tool for general health and wellness. Here are some things to consider before you try topicals:
- Topicals can be applied directly to the affected area, providing precise, targeted relief from symptoms.
- With no psychoactive effects, you can use topicals wherever and whenever the necessary.
- Since topicals only affect the applied area, they provide less holistic relief than other cannabis consumption methods.
Pills: Controlled Dosing for Personalized Relief
Designed for those seeking a precise dose without the traditional consumption methods, THC/CBD cannabis pills offer a consistent, measured experience. Here are some points to consider if you’re thinking about trying them out:
- Pills provide an exact dose of cannabinoids, ensuring you get the desired effects every time.
- Cannabis pills are discrete and can be taken just like any other supplement or medication.
- The onset of effects from pills can be slower than other methods, as they need to be metabolized first.
- Digestive factors can influence cannabinoid absorption, potentially varying the experience.
This guide covers the most popular cannabis consumption methods on the market.
Before you select a particular consumption method, be sure to discuss it with a healthcare professional.
And if you have questions or would like a personalized recommendation, stop by a Rootdown location and speak to a budtender. We’re here to help you find the most appropriate consumption method for your wellness needs.